Latest Report Regarding the C9 Leak Accident in Quangang: Production Safety Accident Identified As Preliminary Cause
CATEGORY:Port
FROM:China Water Transportation, edited by E-PORTS
29 / Jul / 2025 阅读量:284
扫一扫:分享
微信里点“发现”,扫一下
二维码便可将本文分享至朋友圈。
On November 9, Quanzhou Municipality’s Information Office issued the latest information regarding the chemical leak of Fujian Donggang Petroleum & Chemical Industrial Co., Ltd. (hereafter Donggang Co.) and its handling. The note identified a production safety accident as the cause for the environmental pollution.
The official report states that the tanker “Tiantong 1” berthed at the Donggang Co. pier in Quangang, Quanzho, at about 16:00 on November 3. At 19:20, the transfer of industrial-use cracking C9 through the Donggang Co. pier oil pipeline began. At 00:51 on November 4, the pipeline began to slip. At 01:13, Donggang Co. operators discovered leaking C9. On-site staff immediately stopped the pump and closed the valves. Qualified personnel quickly arrived at the pier to begin retrieving the spill. By 01:23, the leak was stopped. At about 02:00, specialists arrived at the dock to handle the environmental spill. At 04:30, the clean-up operation within the oil boom ended. However, part of the spill spread into the adjacent Xiaocuo waters, with some resident reporting a pungent smell.
According to the report, relevant departments promptly set up working groups in charge of on-site disposal, mass work, marine impact assessment, and accident investigation to implement emergency measures.
The report also says that by 15:00 on November 8, relevant departments had dispatched more than 400 vessels, over 2500 people and 732 bags of oil absorbent mats and 70 barrels of oil remover to absorb the oil spill. Floating oil in the affected waters had been basically cleared by that point. Vessels and personnel will continue working in the area to absorb any residual oil that may appear when the tide changes.
The report further says that on November 4, the departments for environmental protection, marine fisheries and safety supervision at the province and municipal levels began monitoring the air, marine environment and aquatic products in the affected area. To ensure food safety, Quangang District has suspended the catching, selling and eating of cage-cultured aquatic products in the affected area since November 4. The impacted sea area encompasses 0.6 square kilometers. Damage to aquaculture is concentrated in the Xiaocuo cage-culture area, which covers around 0.2 square kilometers. This affects 152 farmers tending to 99 units, of which 20 are empty. Among the remaining 79 units, 20 are severely affected, while the others suffered varying degrees of damage.